Monday, February 16, 2015

Mother of Exiles



When a swap was listed challenging the card maker to make a card with two stamps I knew immediately what I wanted to do.  One of my favorite poems is "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus. It emptiomizes the plight of the infamous immigrants who came to the United States in search of a new life in a new land durning a period of time where the U.S. was coming to be the great country she is today.  Many of my ancestors were among these people and I am proud to say the Unites States provided a new life to many branches of family and allowed us to realize dreams they were all but impossible in our birth countries. 

For this card I used Tim Holtz distress inks to create the background with some flicks of water added for effect. The weeping Statue of Liberty was then stamped in Rusty Hinge distress ink and the lines from the poem were stamped on top in Versafine ink.  This will always be one of my favorite cards because it hits home with me on so many levels.  

No matter where you live, I would like to encourage you to research your family history through oral family history and written records.  The story of where you came from is precious and fascinating and you should know that story so you can pass it on to the younger generations. 

1 comment: