Saturday, December 20, 2014

Dr Who Villians


As a newly converted Whovian I was super excited to join a Dr Who Villians swap even though I am just learning who the Villians are.  I ended up making two cards for this swap because I was not happy with my first card.  I actually almost threw out my first set of cards; but, I'm glad I didn't because a lot of people enjoyed them which truly shows that art is subjective.  

The second card I made was called "Limited Edition Cyberman".  I really loved this card.  I used one blend of blue, yellow and silver alcohol inks for the cyberman and cut him out.  For the base layer I used another blend of alcohol inks in yellow and orange and painted that layer with Tim Holtz Hard Rock Candy Crackle paint.  I glued the layers together, adding foam dots behind the Cyberman to make him pop out, then I added a black frame to finish the front of the card.  The back of the card was pretty simple with some orange patterned paper and a small Dr Who stamp. 


Now let's talk about the first card.  I absolutely loved the image when I found it and wanted to do a darker card in black and a kind of bright maroon color; but, shockingly I did not know about Versafine ink and I was not able to get crisp black images with my Ranger Archival ink, so I abandoned that idea and decided to go with cool winter colors instead.  I used a shimmery blue ink to stamp my stamp and added a cutout of Dr Who mounted on foam dots for dimension.  Snow-Tex was used to add a snow like texture to the bottom of the card and I added a double frame to the image in shiny blue and white cardstock.  
For the back I stamped an additional snowman stamp in a shimmery pink ink; but, it did not show us as well as I had hoped.  When the card was finished I knew I was not happy with it; but, I had put SO many hours into carving and making this set of cards.  For me the best solution to this problem was to consider this a bonus card for the swap and make a new card.  I'm so glad I did that!  The swap host Eyeoremama was very gracious and did not mind sorting the additional card for the swap and the other swap members were very kind when leaving their "found card" comments on both the Snowmen and the Cyberman.  



No comments:

Post a Comment