Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Velveteen Rabbit


When I joined a story book swap I knew right away that I wanted to pay homage to one of my favorite childhood stories, The Velveteen Rabbit.  It took me a while to find an image that I could carve for this one and I was nervous about carving the words as that has never been a strong point for me in carving; but, I figured the only way to get better at something is to work at it.  Since challenging myself in carving was the focus I decided to carve a quote from the book for the back of this card.  It is a bit rough in places; but, I was still pretty happy with the end result.

For the front of the card I stamped the image on white card stock using brown versa fine ink.  Next, I cut out the rabbit so I could use it as a mask.  I placed the cut out over the stamped image and used a blending tool to blend Tim Holtz distress inks over the top and bottom of the card (in blue and green shades) to bring the stamped illustration to life.  Finally I picked a bitter sweet chocolate colored card stock to use as a frame and glued the layers together.  I stamped the back of the card with the story book quote on a patterned paper that coordinated well with the front of the card.  

If you have never read this story I highly reccomend you hightail it to your local library or bookstore and enjoy this little treasure.  It's such a precious story and it always resonated with me in a very real way.  There is something so intriguing about toys coming to life and a secret world that adults can not experience that opened my mind to a world of possibilities as a child. 


No comments:

Post a Comment